Create & commit resources for `codefresh-guestbook` application

Now that you have created codefresh-guestbook as an Argo CD application, you need to deploy it. Let’s deploy the codefresh-guestbook application by creating and committing resources.
You will create and commit the following resources:

  1. A folder in Git to save resources for the application
  2. Rollout resource defining the deployment strategy
  3. Service resource to expose the application to external traffic

Before you begin

Create folder in Git for application resources

Create a folder in the Git repo in which to save all the resources for the codefresh-guestbook application.

  • In your Git repo, create a folder to store the resources needed to deploy the application.
    For example, /quick-start/

Create rollout.yaml

Create a rollout resource for the application you want to deploy.

To leverage Argo Rollouts’ deployment capabilities, we are using the Argo’s rollout resource instead of the native Kubernetes Deployment object. For detailed information on the fields you can define, see Argo Rollout specification.

  • In the Git repository create the rollout.yaml file, as in the example below.
kind: Rollout
  name: codefresh-guestbook-rollout
  replicas: 4
  revisionHistoryLimit: 2
      app: codefresh-guestbook
        app: codefresh-guestbook
        - image:
          name: codefresh-guestbook
            - name: http
              containerPort: 80
              protocol: TCP
  minReadySeconds: 30
        - setWeight: 25
        - pause: {duration: 20s}
        - setWeight: 75
        - pause: {duration: 15s}

Fields in rollout.yaml

Rollout Field Notes
replicas When deployed, the rollout creates four replicas of the codefresh-guestbook application.
revisionHistoryLimit The number of replica sets to retain.
matchLabels The pods to select for this rollout. In our example, all pods with the label codefresh-guestbook are selected.
image The container image for the application with the version tag, in our example.
name The name of the application, codefresh-guestbook in our example.
canary The deployment strategy, canary meaning that the traffic is gradually routed to the new application. Starting with setWeight of 25% followed by a pause of 20 seconds, and the remaining 75% after verification.
templateName The analysis template used to validate the application metrics. Our example has the background-analysis template, and interfaces with Prometheus to monitor and validate metric thresholds.

Create a service resource

Create a service resource to expose your application to external traffic.

  • Create a service.yaml resource for the application you want to deploy, as in the example below.

    Create it in the same folder in which you saved rollout.yaml.

apiVersion: v1
kind: Service
  name: codefresh-guestbook-svc
    - port: 8080
      targetPort: 80
    app: codefresh-guestbook # must be the same as the selector defined in rollouts.yaml
  type: LoadBalancer

Fields in service.yaml

Service field Notes
spec.ports The internal port, 8080 in our example, and external targetPort, 80 in our example. The pods to select, and MUST be identical to that defined in rollouts.yaml, codefresh-guestbook in our example.

View application resources in Codefresh

Once you create and commit the rollout and service resources, return to the GitOps Apps dashboard. After selecting the application, the Current State tab displays the application’s resources.

  1. In the Codefresh UI, from Ops in the sidebar, select GitOps Apps.
  2. Select the application. The Current State tab is now populated with the rollout and service resources you added.

Current State with resources for application

Current State with resources for application

What to do next

(Optional) Update image tag for Argo CD application