Call a CD pipeline from a CI pipeline
How to call child pipelines from a parent pipeline
In Codefresh you can easily create nested pipelines by calling other pipelines from within an existing pipeline. The codefresh-run plugin allows you to launch another pipeline, and optionally wait for its completion.
A very common pattern in Codefresh is to have a parent pipeline responsible for Continuous Integration (packaging code), that calls a child pipeline for Continuous Delivery (taking care of deployment).
You can see the example project at https://github.com/codefresh-contrib/call-child-pipeline-sample-app. The repository contains a NodeJs app as well as three - one parent and two child pipelines.
Create a pipeline that calls other pipelines
Here is the definition of the parent pipeline:
This pipeline does the following:
- Clones the source code through a Git clone step.
- Creates a variable that contains the Application version as specified in
- Builds a docker image tagged with the Application version through a build step.
- Optionally runs the downstream QA pipeline if the branch is named
develop. It also passes several environment variables to the child pipeline (including the Application version).
- Optionally runs the downstream Prod pipeline if the branch name starts with
release. It also passes several environment variables to the child pipeline (including the Application version).
The last two steps use conditions to decide if they will run or not.
CI/CD pipeline examples
Codefresh YAML for pipeline definitions
Steps in pipelines